Feb 10, 2005

Plug Awards

Went to a fantastic concert event last night at Webster Hall--the first annual Plug Awards--which awarded the best of the best in indie rock. Zach and I got there just in time to catch Saul Williams (who he was particularly impressed with). RJD2 followed with a solid and cinematic set, and fed into the next performance of the Brooklyn rapper Aesop Rock, who was kinda hit-and-miss. Sufjan Stevens played a pair of stirring acoustic ballads, but was dissipated by a rowdy venue of beer bottles and crowd chatter. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists definitely stole the show for me. They blew away their studio recordings of "Me and Mia" and "Little Dawn" with intense onstage energy, so now their album pales in comparison.

Flickr'd some photos here.

As far as awards, click here.

"New Artist of the Year" honors went to the Montreal sextet Arcade Fire, who I saw last Wednesday at Irving Plaza with friends Brian and Mike. By far one of the best live shows I've seen, and it solidified them as my favorite group of 2004. One of the highlights was David Byrne, lead singer of Talking Heads, joining Arcade for the second encore. Plus, to round out the 80s indie rock idols, David Bowie was in the audience! (Sadly, however, like Zach, I forgot my camera, but Brian sent me this link of another blogger who snapped some photos.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home